Sunday, May 26, 2013

Turned based ass kicking

On a whim I grabbed a copy of Sid Meier's Civilization 5 the other day not knowing at all if I'd like the turn-based game play but knowing if there was a genre of strategy titles that I would get into, turn-based would be the one.  I must lack brain power to understand real time strategy titles because within minutes of playing one my frustration levels have far surpassed anything I can recall in gaming, and it has to do with not being able to grasp the basics of attacking or defending bases and what not.  Then along come turned-based games like the latest XCOM title, and Civ 5.  They allow me to play at my pace, to survey the surroundings, and to make at least a somewhat intelligent choice about my units future movements and tactics.

 
 
I only have three hours invested at this point, but in that short amount of time learned a little about the game and I believe that while I may not play it exclusively (hell I rarely play anything exclusively) I will certainly get many hours of enjoyment out of my $19.  Not only that, with these motivating factors on my side only time with the game stands between me and fully understanding it's systems which will hopefully help see me through to at least one end game scenario!

Each time I start the game I find myself starting a new game rather than loading up a previous save.  By doing this I hope to be able to learn the early game components so that eventually I can make a run at the end game without worrying that my early decisions will come into play in a negative way.  I don't even know if this is possible, but I like to think by replaying the opening scenario over and over eventually I can do so without the need of tutorials to guide me through the stages of game play.  Time will tell. 

What other turned-based strategy games are out there for me to try?  If I like the Civilization series, perhaps there are other games just like it that could pique my interest.  XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the only other game I can think of off the top of my head, and I do own that one.  I want to concentrate on only one at a time though, so for now Civ 5 is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment