Saturday, June 2, 2012

PC and consoles getting along in harmony!

There was a point in time that console games didn't even exist in my life. It wasn't even that many years ago.  In fact, it was during the height of the PS2 era that I finally decided to buy a console to play games on myself.  It wasn't going to be a gift to the children that would wind up becoming a glorified banana slicer.  And so I was bought by my wife in the winter of 2004 an Xbox.  Not just and Xbox, but also a copy of Halo 2.  I had been somewhat of a fan of the series having owned the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved.  I say owned not played.  I really don't remember playing Halo on my PC to be honest.  Foggy visions of perhaps a trial run of the multi player might be all I slightly remember about the game.  Besides, I doubt my PC at the time could have handled it reasonably frame rate wise. 

Despite being a PC gamer in 2004, my hardware was far from powerful enough to allow for smooth, uncompromising game play.  I have been part of an enormous battle for a bridge on one of my all time favorite games (of all time), that being Planetside, where I seldom saw double digit frame rates.  And I loved the game and would keep playing the fucking slide show because I was a PC gamer!  Even though I had owned a PS2 and a Game Cube earlier in the generation, I didn't spend any time with either machine.  Both were broken and stuffed full of banana before I could gain any sort of desire to play a game on one of them.  The Xbox would be my first attempt to enjoy gaming on another platform besides the PC.  I will admit, at the time, money had a very strong hold on the matter.  I couldn't afford to upgrade my PC to keep up with the times.  As far as my rig was concerned, just when the new hotness was available, I was just able to enjoy the stuff from two years prior!

What game do you buy when you are new to the system other than the flagship experience which just so happens to be the sequel to a game that you own on your PC?!  Halo 2 was the natural selection.  And so I began to play games with dual analog sticks, giving up my keyboard and mouse for an obviously less accurate and in my mind nearly impossible to use control method.  This was insanity.  But like many I adapted.  Slowly but surely I started to comprehend the control scheme, and soon enough I was having late night fragging session on Halo 2.  It was around this time that I discovered Ghost Recon 2 for the Xbox.




...TO BE CONTINUED                                                                                                                                                                    








                                                 





2 comments:

  1. I was going to write a nice, lengthy feature here but the blogger wouldn't cooperate so I saved what I had and will finish the story of a lifetime late on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Console titles in the era of Xbox and PS2, despite not being of the quality of true PC games - were still pretty fantastic.

    I have lots of memories from when I played on my Xbox, and the games of the time certainly had a quality to them that is lacking nowadays. I only look as far as Halo 1 and 2 for Xbox...They were both very well made games with innovation because the developers cared, whereas for Halo 3, ODST, and Reach... What real differences were there anymore?

    ReplyDelete